Questions #2

To reply to the newest set of questions:

~Internet costs between .15-.40 birrh/minute ~13 birrh/hour ~$1.5 usd  - it's probably tied with food for my second biggest expense (hotel is #1 @ $13.5 USD/night...expensive!)

~I am receiving calls from skype (other ppl. calling me), but there is nowhere with fast enough internet to skype.  All of the internet places advertise 'broadband', or as it would be known in the US - 33 kb/s

~There is not much italian influence outside of the delicious macchiatos and cafe culture so readily apparent. 

~I may try to go to Lalibella for a few days (lots of gorgeous rock-hewn churches), but I'm hesitant to spend time away from the mission because I enjoy working there so much.  Also, any trip to Lalibella would take ~4 days, and finding a good 4 day window is tough

~I did see the NY Times article about Ethiopia the other week and I feel as though the NYT is actively trying to negatively portray Ethiopia b/c of the the issue w/their writers (2 were "arrested" and held by the army while trapsing around the somalia border...i feel no sympathy for them).  As I was telling Jake and Zev today, I spent 3 hours wandering through some of the poorest neighborhoods I have seen anywhere in the world, and I feel safer walking around Addis than I do in most big cities.  The only trouble in Addis is growing unhappiness with the government.  But here life continues as usual.

Comments