Questions

to answer some of the questions asked in the comments (thank you ari):

~I am not taking pictures of the gory stuff...yet, but I do want to document the range of things we see every day
~My amharic is poor, but I can greet, bid adieu, order some food, and other things like that....i'm trying to learn but it's a wee bit difficile
~I am working 6 days a week, 9-12 & 3-5.  The mission shuts down around 6:30-7 for the night.
~I usually give to about one beggar/day or <1% of all the beggars I encounter each day
~Most nights I get back to the hotel around 7, spend an hour reading and then go out to find dinner.  Then I usually go back to the hotel, read, write, and asleep by 1 AM. 
~I went out for the first time Tuesday night...interesting.  Was by myself but quickly met Daniel, an Ethiopian who has either emigrated to Israel or is going to visit...he had lots of hebrew inside his passport.  The 2nd bar we went to was a hotel/brothel (the prostitues aren't very subtle) and we sat and had a few drinks there.  I didn't understand anything he said after our first 5 minutes of conversation, and the rest of the night I smiled and nodded and occasionally I'd point and say "falasha!" and he'd smile and nod and shout back...good times
~The food is excellent - essentially tons of meat (beef) with bread. right up my alley.


Comments

Anonymous said…
How expensive is Internet access? Are you using Skype with Julia?

Is there any Italian influence from the Mussolini era?

Any plans to get out of Addis for a few days?

Lastly, did you see the NY Times article on the Ethiopian insurgency about a week ago? I can send it to you if you need.

- The Lion