Street scene - Addis style

My first day of work is now done and over.  Starting @ 9 AM this morning, I was working in the outpatient clinic @ the mission.  So what exactly did this entail?  Well today was a little different than normal (or so I'm told) because there were ~15 nurses in training working at the mission for the last day of their 4 day rotation.  The examining/dressing room is about 10' X 10' with cabinets full of supplies lining the walls and 4 nursing students + me + 2 patients at all times...it was cozy.  I saw lots of gory stuff...the kind of stuff that scares you when you open up a medical textbook.  If anyone wants the details, let me know and I'll embellish but for now we'll leave it at that. 

For "lunch," I had a macchiato with one of the full-time nursing students @ the mission, Abebe.  Quick Abebe bio: one of 11 kids, grew up in southern ethiopia, 27 yo, not married, first year nursing student (of 4 years), wants to be surgeon eventually, incredibly nice guy.  In the afternoon I ran into Lyston Peebles, originally from Greensboro, who runs the Cherokee Fund's charity operation based in Addis, and he invited me to a big lamb bbq @ his house tomorrow.  He said there should be about 50 ppl there, including a family from GSO I met today and ~15 college-age students who live in his house....should be fun/interesting. 

After work, I attempted to walk to the hotel, but didn't quite make it.  The map in lonely planet neglects to include the hundreds of small alleys and side streets that may confuse a poor guy like me.  What should have been a 30 minute stroll turned into 2.5 hours of walking in 2 huge circles, only to end up catching a bus/taxi back to the hotel .  Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.  I think I'm gonna turn in early tonight b/c this whole work thing is actually tiring, but maybe that's just the 2.5 hours of walking talking. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are you taking pics of the gory stuff? I'm scared.

How's your amharic?

-The Lion